Tuesday

freaks.

i did some new artwork for "The Soup Show" which is performing throughout the month of march and which i will unfortunately be missing because i wont be leaving vancouver til april. i love that i spent hours and hours working on this project, and enjoyed every second of it, yet i dont really know what the show is about. it has something to do with three women contemplating their historical contribution to society and art versus their literal contribution. and stirring up a pot with their naked bodies. and circus freaks. are you as entranced as i was when i first heard about it?
each woman in the poster is drawn in the likeness of a woman in the show. desiree is in the first two pictures, the other women in the last Mind Reader poster are cara and erica. go see the show if you can. Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind is an awesome show and all the projects that they work on in tandem have been pretty excellent. you wont be sorry!





here is another project that i spent a lot of time on a couple months ago, when my good friends jessie and meredith, who are getting married in july, asked me to create some artwork that they could use for their correspondence/save-the-dates/invitations, etc. we came up with the idea that i would draw a comic of the "popping of question" and they could send their save the dates out on valentines day and have them folded up like a love note, the kind you used to send in high school (cause they are both teachers and they met teaching at the same high school in the bronx! so sweet right?)

here is the comic:


and here is the emblem with their initials:





4 comments:

Pavement Runner said...

Very nice. :)

Mike Fitz said...

So lovely :) Thanks for sharing!

Shmo said...

Jasika,

I am doubtful that you read your comments all that often (us fangirls can get a bit obnoxious!) but I feel the need to get this off my chest.

I happened upon your website today, via a link to your newest J+C comic. I am completely enthralled with your artwork and your poetry. In the span of 20 minutes your comics made me laugh and made me cry. I am not a visible minority, but I am a lesbian teen fighting my way through this world one dirty look at at time. I can only hope that your beautiful comics get in to the hands of the youth that need them the most.

Thank you for sharing such intimate details about your life with the world, they are truly inspiring.

From one Vancouverite to another,
Happy Spring!

-Stephanie

Claire Girodie said...

Nice work!