Monday

Anna Karenina...

...started to get REALLY good around chapter 17 or 18 of Part I, and now I am 300 pages in and becoming a little obsessed with it. Its been a little while since I was so engrossed in a book that I stayed up too late at night under the covers, forcing my eyes to stay on the sentence I was reading instead of scrolling down to catch a glimpse of what was going to happen next. Anyways, I write all of this because I (thankfully!) find myself slowly shifting into a more inspired mood now that I am reading such a vivid account of someone's fictitious life. I have been toying around with this idea for a fictional comic that I want to start for a while now, but I am nervous about inventing a complete world and personalities and emotions in such a way. Every story I have ever told came directly from my memories of my own experiences, so fiction is borderline frightening for me. Well, thats not true- the writing and drawing part will be fun- the sharing part is what is scary.
In an attempt to get myself amped up for some fall and winter drawing, I started going through some old artwork of mine and came across the photos we took of this mural I painted a couple years ago for Green Chimneys in the Bronx (fyi: GC is an organization for homeless LGBTQ youth in NYC). I am not a painter by any stretch of the imagination, but this was a fun piece to do because it just needed to be huge to cover the wall and bold to stand out and make a statement- beautiful painterly details were completely unnecessary.










I think I shall upload some pages I ripped out of my sketchbooks from set from seasons 1 and 2. I dont guess the gallery on my site is a good place to put them, but at least it will be proof that my knitting hands have not taken over complete precedence over my life in Vancouver.

14 comments:

Danilo said...

Hey there!
I don't know if you check your blog regularly, but I hope this finds you well...
Jasika, I'm a big fan of your jobs(both drawing acting), I wish I could have more contact with it, and I feel sad knowing that it's almost impossible for me to actually see one of your paintings (I'm from Brazil). So, I decided to come here and congratulate you for your excellent job, principally as Astrid F., an essencial character of Fringe to me!
Wish you all the success and happiness!

Misa said...

Wow, you painted all of it? That's awesome! I can barely draw a dog. Great job, seriously. If you want my opinion, you should upload the pages that you mentioned in the last paragraph. Waiting for more and wishing the best! Misa.(Sorry if there are any mistakes, I am also brazilian)

The Astral Gypsy said...

Hi, I've just been reading your comic about your sister and family, very honest and moving. I'm also a comic artist, I teach comic art and have had a lot of autistic students. I'm also serialising my autobiography in comic on my blog, musclememorymemoir.blogspot.com
Please check it out when you have time.
Keep up the great work on all fronts, loving Fringe as ever.

john marzan said...

here's a younger version of yourself in Aussie form

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_anV4TWThRE

Stephanie said...

This is an awesome blog, and I can't wait to read and see more. Thank you!

MyVogonPoetry said...

Awesome blog and artwork. We have been doing parodies of Love Songs with a Fringe Twist on Twitter. Example: Let me call you sweetheart (because I can't remember your name.) #LoveSongGoneWrong #FringeSpecialEdition by Bing Crosby, Walter & Astrid. Thought you might get a kick out of them…

upfromsumdirt said...

"eeew, your mama got hair on her things!" - that has made my day (as well as given me further reason to avoid doing housework!)

thanks!

peace and blessings to you.

Kathy said...

Hello from Hong Kong!! You are an awesome Artist, admire your talent. I am currently watching Fringe, have to say that you are a great artist too. Keep up the good work. :)

Howard Shum said...

Hey Jasika,

I think it's cool that you can draw. Check out the drawing I did of you and John Noble on my blog http://howardshum.blogspot.com/2009/12/fringe.html

La Duncan said...

you are soooo talented and cute!!!!

Elige Tu Propia Aventura said...

beautiful colors
a kiss from argentina

calendula said...

i read Anna Karenina many years ago,i remember that was a beatiful summer and i hade decide that was the time to read romantics books.... Madame Bovary, Anna Karenina, lady Chatterly, and others...
Anna karenina and Madame Bovary gave me a beautiful sensation.... i cried for the cruel destiny of Anna end Emma, but for Emma there was a sort of hate, because she broke her life for stupid dreams.... Anna make all for LOVE!!!... i found it beautiful, but i remember always the pages with the life condtions of the russian countryman......boring boring boring.....
i'm sorry for my english i'm italian....

Ro Furkim said...

Hi, Jasika! I'm seeing your blog for the first time, and love it! Great.

Daniel Khanan said...

Hey Jesika, I'm Danny. I'm not sure that this will ever get to you but it's worth a try... I'm dropping by to say I love your work with fringe, but i love you more. I keep telling myself it's silly to like you so much..but i can't help it. With this little letter I just hope to make your day a little bit better, and a little brighter then a second ago. If your ever feeling down, just know there is someone out there who likes you very much, and would love to be a little part of your life. Have a great day, stay gold.